ABC - Top Stories
Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(SNELLVILLE, Ga.) -- A police officer was shot and killed near a school in Georgia after responding to a report of a suspicious vehicle, authorities said.

Antwan Toney and another officer approached a vehicle near the Shiloh Middle School in Snellville to check out a report of people smoking marijuana, according to Sgt. Jake Smith of the Gwinnett County Police Department.

That's when shots rang out from inside the vehicle, Smith said, adding that such things don't happen "99.999 percent" of the time.

“That it went this way -- it’s just tragic,” Smith said.

One of the bullets struck Toney, Smith said.

His partner, who has not been identified, dragged Toney away for cover, Smith said.

It was not immediately clear where Toney was struck, but he succumbed to his injuries -- just six days from his three-year mark with the department, Smith said.

The vehicle, which had as many as four people in it, took off and crashed less than a mile from the shooting scene, Smith said. The officers had returned fire, and it was unclear whether anyone in the car was wounded or whether the car simply crashed while fleeing, Smith said. The suspects fled on foot.

Gwinnett County Police Chief Butch Ayers said in a subsequent press conference that investigators are reviewing body camera footage of the shooting, but did not specify whose body camera footage he was referring to. Earlier, Smith had said most of the officers in the department have body cameras, but not all.

"The people that worked with Officer Toney on a daily basis recalled a very jovial person who was dedicated to his job and dedicated to his community," Ayers said.

Police announced at a late-night press conference that Isaiah Pretlow had been arrested by the U.S. Marshals Service. According to Gwinnett County Police Chief Butch Ayers, Pretlow was in the vehicle that crashed, and took off on foot. He was approached by officers and opened fire on them, but no one was struck.

Pretlow has been charged with aggravated assault, Ayers said.

At the same press conference, Ayers announced that police are still searching for Tafahree Maynard, but he has been charged with aggravated assault and murder. He also fled the crash on foot and is considered armed and dangerous.

The other officer who approached the vehicle with Toney did not appear to suffer any injuries.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The day after nobody won a $1 billion Mega Millions jackpot, the numbers were drawn for a relatively paltry Powerball prize of $470 million. But, like Mega Millions, no one took home the Powerball, and the pot continues to rise.

The winning numbers for Saturday's drawing were 16, 54, 57, 62, 69 with a Powerball of 23.

With no one claiming the big prize, the Powerball drawing on Wednesday -- one day after a $1.6 billion Mega Millions drawing -- will be $620 million. The cash payout is approximately $354.3 million. The Powerball is the third-largest in the game's history and sixth-largest in U.S. lotto history.

There were a number of runner-up prizes. There were $2 million winners in Florida and Tennessee, and $1 million winners in Arizona, Connecticut, Indiana, Michigan, Missouri, New Jersey and Washington.

The first five balls were drawn from a pool of 69 and the Powerball from a pool of 26, making the odds of getting all six numbers correct 292,201,338 to 1, according to the Powerball website.

A single winning ticket on Saturday would have been eligible for a cash payout of $268.6 million.

Combined with a new Mega Millions jackpot of $1.6 billion, there is more than $2 billion in top-prize money between the two lottery games -- and millions more available for subordinate prizes.

The Mega Millions top prize of $1.6 billion has a cash payout option of $904 million, but both can grow depending upon the volume of ticket sales.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Here are the scores from Saturday’s sports events:

NATIONAL LEAGUE
L.A. Dodgers 5, Milwaukee 1

NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION
Toronto 117, Washington 113
Indiana 132, Brooklyn 112
Philadelphia 116, Orlando 115
Boston 103, N.Y. Knicks 101
Detroit 118, Chicago 116
Charlotte 113, Miami 112
Dallas 140, Minnesota 136
Denver 119, Phoenix 91
Portland 121, San Antonio 108
Houston 124, L.A. Lakers 115

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE
Colorado 3, Carolina 1
Philadelphia 5, New Jersey 2
Buffalo 5, L.A. Kings 1
Winnipeg 5, Arizona 3
St. Louis 4, Toronto 1
Chicago 4, Columbus 1
OT Ottawa 4, Montreal 3
OT Detroit 4, Florida 3
OT Minnesota 5, Tampa Bay 4
Nashville 3, Edmonton 0
OT Vancouver 2, Boston 1
Vegas 3, Anaheim 1
San Jose 4, N.Y. Islanders 1

TOP 25 COLLEGE FOOTBALL
(1) Alabama 58, Tennessee 21
Purdue 49, (2) Ohio St. 20
(3) Clemson 41, (16) NC State 7
(5) LSU 19, (22) Mississippi St. 3
(6) Michigan 21, (24) Michigan St. 7
(9) Oklahoma 52, TCU 27
(10) UCF 37, East Carolina 10
(25) Washington St. 34, (12) Oregon 20
(14) Kentucky 14, Vanderbilt 7
(15) Washington 27, Colorado 13
(18) Penn St. 33, Indiana 28
(19) Iowa 23, Maryland 0
OT Temple 24, (20) Cincinnati 17
(21) South Florida 38, UConn 30
(23) Wisconsin 49, Illinois 20

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images(LONDON) -- Duchess Meghan will be cutting back on several engagements on the couple's grueling 16-day Royal Tour.

“After a busy programme, the Duke and Duchess have decided to cut back the Duchess' schedule slightly for the next couple of days, ahead of the final week-and-a-half of the tour," Kensington Palace announced in a statement on Saturday evening, or Sunday morning in Sydney, Australia.

"The Duke will attend the cycling as scheduled this morning, and the Duchess will join him for this afternoon's engagements," the statement continued. "The Duke will continue with the engagements on Fraser Island," a reference to an island off the eastern coast of Australia, near Brisbane.

The Duchess of Sussex was expected to attend the Invictus Games cycling events in Sydney, but pulled out because she was tired.

The couple announced the Duchess' pregnancy at the start of their four-nation tour last Monday. She is believed to be about 14 weeks along in her pregnancy.

A source told ABC News that "she’s feeling fine but resting."

Harry and Meghan had a very late night after the Invictus Games opening ceremony was delayed due to an electrical storm.

Earlier this week, Meghan revealed that she gets up at 4:30 a.m. to do yoga -- noting that it was "so good for healing your mind."

She also talked about how she does yoga daily, and how being pregnant was “like having jet lag without actually traveling.”

Meghan will be traveling to Fraser Island but is not expected to participate in any engagements while Harry carries on with the original schedule.

Kensington Palace has not clarified to date whether the Duchess will carry on her full itinerary at upcoming stops in Fiji and Tonga.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(HOUSTON) -- In the midst of a fiery and critical U.S. Senate race in Texas, Republican Senator Ted Cruz and his opponent Democrat Rep. Beto O’Rourke each sat down with ABC News’ Paula Faris ahead of the November midterm election, opening up about presidential ambitions, the politics of immigration and President Donald Trump.

Cruz, who just two years ago was running against Trump for president, deflected questions about his 2016 campaign trail battles with Trump. At different times during that campaign, Cruz called Trump "utterly amoral," "a serial philanderer" and a "pathological liar."

Nor was he inclined to respond to Trump's campaign trail attacks on him.

“Look, I have no interest in revisiting the comments of 2016,” he said -- calling the campaign "bare-knuckle" with "hard shots on all sides."

During the 2016 Republican presidential primaries, Trump attempted to link the father of the Texas senator, Pastor Rafael Cruz, to Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald.

Faris, who asked Cruz if he would consider Trump a friend or a foe, stopped short of answering the question.

“He's the president," said Cruz. "I work with the president in delivering on our promises.”

'A country to save'


When Faris asked the elder Cruz if he had moved past the president’s insults, he suggested that it was not the time to be dwelling on the past.

“We have a country to save," he said. "We have a state to save. And we need to put away our petty differences and stand shoulder to shoulder.”

Trump -- who has endorsed Cruz’s campaign -- is scheduled to arrive into Houston for the senator’s Monday rally. Cruz, in turn, said he would campaign for the president during his 2020 re-election bid.

When Faris asked if the senator would say unequivocally that he would serve his entire second term, Cruz said “absolutely.”

Cruz has wavered on this point in the past.

With the 2020 presidential race drawing nearer, there was at least one thing opponents O’Rourke and Cruz could agree on.

When asked if he would ever run for president, O’Rourke said no, partly in deference to his family.

“We can't be out on the road for another two years. Nor would I want [to]. Nor do I think that's right,” he said, in reference to his wife and two young kids.

“We've seen the consequence of a junior senator who leaves the state to pursue the presidency -- leaves our priorities. our opportunities, our needs -- behind," O'Rourke said, in a veiled reference to the unsuccessful presidential campaign that Cruz -- Texas's junior senator -- ran in 2016.

"I want to make sure that I'm there -- every single day, for every single one of us.”

ABC NewsWith immigration taking center stage in Texas politics and a caravan of asylum seekers heading for the southern U.S. border with Mexico, Cruz believes law enforcement should intervene.

“If you've got 4,000 people trying to cross illegally at one point, of course we should have the law enforcement resources to stop that," Cruz said. "That's simple, common sense.”

O’Rourke disagrees.

“If things are so desperate -- in Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador -- that someone would risk their lives to come here, then what can we do to improve conditions there?”

Early voting in Texas begins on Monday.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Courtesy of Lifetime(NEW YORK) -- This Sunday, John Stamos joins the Lifetime thriller You for a four-episode arc in which he plays a therapist with some unconventional methods.

He plays Dr. Nicky, the therapist of Elizabeth Lail’s character Beck. Things get twisted when Beck’s stalker Joe, played by Penn Badgley, also begins seeing him.

“I saw the script and I said, ‘Oh, I like this character,’” Stamos says. “It’s just a layered character. There’s just a lot more going on than what you see. But I saw in the book that he smokes pot and he sort of uses that as part of his therapy. I said, ‘That’s interesting. Let’s put that in.’”

While he can’t reveal too much more about Dr. Nicky’s motives – or whether he might actually help Joe overcome some of his issues – he does say the role helped him explore his fascination with therapy.

“I go to a therapist…but I usually end up for 15 minutes asking him about him,” he says. “I just love it. If I had to do something else, I think I would be a therapist.” 

You airs Sunday on Lifetime at 10 p.m. ET.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

(Courtesy: Ariel Mendoza) Ariel Mendoza, 24, of St. Paul, Minnesota, shared a photo project revealing the most upsetting comments people made to her since she lost her son.(ST. PAUL, Minn.) -- A woman who lost her newborn son is spotlighting what she feels are the most unintentionally upsetting comments that people have made to her.

Ariel Mendoza of St. Paul, Minnesota, shared the photo series onto her blog and Facebook page, A Rainbow From Onyx, where it received over 4,000 shares. Mendoza told ABC's Good Morning America that she wants to create a platform so those who experienced the loss of a child won't feel so alone.

"A lot of people seem to really resonate with the comments -- it's bittersweet," Mendoza said. "You won't often read an entire article but you will look at a picture. That's why I decided to make it visual rather than just words."

Mendoza, 24, told GMA that earlier this year, she and her boyfriend Will were surprised to learn that they were expecting a child, considering that Mendoza had been diagnosed with secondary infertility.

Before becoming pregnant with her son, Onyx, Mendoza had experienced two miscarriages, she said.

"I didn't want to get attached, but I didn't want to not enjoy him or the pregnancy because of that fear," Mendoza told GMA.

Mendoza gave birth to Onyx after 20 weeks and 3 days pregnant. His lungs were not fully developed at birth and doctors were unable to save him, she said.

"I never really grieved my first two miscarriages," Mendoza said. "I kind of just bottled up my feelings and moved on with my life, but I wanted him [Onyx] to be remembered."

Following her son's passing, Mendoza launched A Rainbow From Onyx -- where she educates people on what not to say to parents who are in mourning.

Using a letter board, Mendoza featured the comments and photographed them for her website.

"Death in general is considered really taboo especially when people typically don't know what to say," Mendoza said. "The other part is making themselves feel comfortable when they feel uncomfortable, and that how the comments come out."

Mendoza said she hopes her blog and Facebook pages become an online community for grieving parents.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Mom reveals the most heartbreaking comments people have made to her since she lost her baby

0
comments