SPRINGFIELD – Six airports have been selected as winners of the 2019 Airport of the Year award by the Illinois Department of Transportation. The awards will be presented Thursday, May 9, at the Illinois Aviation Conference in East Peoria.
“Our vibrant aviation community strengthens the state’s status as the transportation hub of North America,” said Acting Illinois Transportation Secretary Omer Osman. “These awards recognize the tremendous dedication demonstrated by airports and heliports throughout Illinois. Sincere congratulations to the recipients.”
This year’s award winners:
• Quincy Regional Airport – Primary Airport of the Year
• Lake in the Hills Airport – Reliever Airport of the Year
• Rochelle Municipal Airport – General Aviation Airport of the Year
• Effingham County Memorial Airport – General Aviation Airport of the Year
• Cushing Field – Private – Open to the Public Airport of the Year
• Ann & Robert Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago – Heliport of the Year
The winners were selected as a result of their accomplishments throughout the year, including an outstanding partnership with IDOT and a strong commitment to customer safety and satisfaction. Among the award considerations are cooperation and coordination with the state, facility safety record, promotion of seminars and aviation events, and facility maintenance.
To learn more about aviation in Illinois, visit www.idot.illinois.gov/travel-information/passenger-services/aviation-services/index.