MACOMB – Western Illinois University students in the Broadcasting and Journalism Department were awarded nine state broadcasting awards during the state’s Illinois News Broadcasters Association (INBA) conference, held in Normal, IL, this past weekend. The department was notified earlier this month that WIU students had won either first or second place in news and sports categories in the competition.
"The department is very proud of all of our students and the work they're doing," said WIU Broadcasting Instructor Jasmine Crighton. "WIU students this year won more awards than any of the other state universities. Our faculty works hard to provide lots of hands-on opportunities so students can practice their skills regularly. It shows in the recognition our students received in the SINBA competition."
This year's WIU award winners at the INBA conference were:
• Outstanding Soft Radio Program – Second place: Kyle O'Reilley, a junior broadcasting major, of Roscoe, IL
• Outstanding Radio News Reporting – First place: Emily Stieren, a junior broadcasting major, of Springfield, IL
• Outstanding Radio Sports Reporting: First place: Devin Christmon, a senior sports broadcasting major, of Springfield, IL
• Outstanding Radio Sports Reporting: Second place: MaKenzie Yearby, a junior broadcasting major, of Grandview, MO
• Outstanding Use of Sound – First place: Stieren
• Outstanding Hard Television Program – First place: Devin Brooks, a sophomore broadcasting major, of St. Louis, MO
• Outstanding Soft Television Program – Second place: Marcellus Angel, a junior broadcasting major of Milan, IL
• Outstanding Television News Reporting – First place: Brooks
• Outstanding Television Sports Reporting – Second place: Christmon
During the conference, Brooks was awarded the Ed Brown Scholarship and Stieren was awarded the Bill Miller Scholarship.
For more information about the WIU Department of Broadcasting and Journalism, visit wiu.edu/bcj.
Original story by WIU News. Find them here.