ABC - Sports News
Subscribe To This Feed

33ft/iStock(SAN FRANCISCO) -- The San Francisco Giants announced that Alyssa Nakken will be an assistant on the coaching staff, officially making her the first female coach in Major League Baseball history.

Nakken, a four-time Academic All American softball player for Sacramento State, joined the Giants in 2014 as an intern and worked on a variety of projects, according to a Giants press release.

Last month, she was nominated by her peers and co-awarded the 2019 Sprinkles of Love Award, a Giants honor, for her ethics, professionalism and humanitarianism.

Referring to Nakken and Mark Hallberg, who was also added to the coaching staff as an assistant, Giants manager Gabe Kapler said in a statement, "Alyssa and Mark are highly respected members of the organization and I'm delighted that they will now focus their talents on helping to build a winning culture in the clubhouse."

The team now has a total of 13 coaches.

Before her promotion, Nakken was responsible for leading a number of the team's health and wellness events, including the Giant Race Series. She currently chairs the Giants' first Employee Resource Group, aimed at creating a company culture that encourages diversity and equity.

"In every organization, environment affects performance, and baseball clubhouses are no different. That's why in addition to assisting the rest of the coaching staff on the field, Mark and Alyssa will focus on fostering a clubhouse culture that promotes high performance through, among other attributes, a deep sense of collaboration and team," said Kapler.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Scott Clarke/ESPN Images(NEW YORK) -- Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller never took his health for granted.

Entering his tenth NFL season, the seven-time All-Pro has missed just one game since the start of the 2015 season. He watched as his 95 consecutive games played streak was snapped this past year, when he missed one due to injury

"If it was a playoff game or something, I could’ve toughened it out," the star linebacker tells ABC News, as he embarks on a new offseason campaign to empower others to pursue quality eye care.

Miller has long discussed publicly how his poor vision growing up affected his confidence in school, but he credits the experience for helping him develop a passion for encouraging others to become aware of issues that can affect vision.

"There are 70 million people around the world that are affected by Glaucoma," he says, discussing his new My Glaucoma campaign. "If I can raise any awareness or any type of knowledge of it [glaucoma] that would be my ultimate goal."

Miller also launched his Von’s Vision Foundation several years earlier.

Miller wears an iconic pair of glasses while playing, and vision has never hindered his play. In fact, little has affected his on-field dominance-Miller is heading to his eighth Pro Bowl, which is played the week before the Super Bowl, and has ranked among the NFL’s leaders in sacks nearly every year he has played professional football.

While excited about his new campaign, Miller says he is disappointed the Broncos are not playing in the postseason. The Broncos have missed the playoffs every year since winning the Super Bowl four years ago.

Miller says he will watch the conference championship games this weekend though, and offered a surprising Super Bowl prediction: the underdog Tennessee Titans.

"I like the Titans," says Miller, predicting they will defeat the San Francisco 49ers in the Super Bowl. This, despite believing the 49ers are the best team in the playoffs.

Miller says any team can win though, and concedes his bias does play a role in his prediction:

"I can’t just say the Chiefs!"

The Broncos are divisional rivals with the Kansas City Chiefs, who face Tennessee on Sunday. The 49ers, meanwhile, will host the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship Game.

To hear our entire conversation with Miller, which includes more on his campaign, predictions, and his thoughts on issues affecting the NFL, click here.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

artisteer/iStock(NEW YORK) -- This weekend, the final four NFL teams will battle for their chance at the Super Bowl.

The Tennessee Titans will take on the Kansas City Chiefs to play the winner of the Green Bay Packers vs. the San Francisco 49ers in the league's biggest game.

Watch the full report from ABC's Good Morning America below:

The two remaining teams will face-off for Super Bowl LIV in Miami on Sunday, Feb. 2. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. ET.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock(NEW YORK) -- Here are the scores from Thursday's sports events:

NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION

Phoenix 121, New York 98
Milwaukee 128, Boston 123
New Orleans 138, Utah 132 -- OT
L.A. Clippers 122, Orlando 95
Denver 134, Golden State 131 -- OT

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE

Boston 4, Pittsburgh 1
Columbus 3, Carolina 2
Florida 4, Los Angeles 3
NY Rangers 3, NY Islanders 2
Montreal 4, Philadelphia 1
Calgary 2, Toronto 1 -- SO
Washington 5, New Jersey 2
Vegas 4, Ottawa 2
Minnesota 3, Tampa Bay 2
Anaheim 4, Nashville 2
Buffalo 4, Dallas 1
Colorado 4, San Jose 0
Vancouver 3, Arizona 1

TOP-25 COLLEGE BASKETBALL

Washington St. 72, Oregon 61
Colorado 68, Arizona St. 61
Gonzaga 104, Santa Clara 54
Memphis 60, Cincinnati 49

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

33ft/iStock(NEW YORK) -- Mets manager Carlos Beltran resigned on Thursday after being implicated in a sign-stealing scandal that's left three teams without managers just weeks before Spring Training.

The 42-year-old is the latest member of the 2017 Houston Astros to lose his job after Major League Baseball revealed the team's staff used video monitoring to steal signs from the Los Angeles Dodgers during the World series.

In a statement, Mets Chief Operating Officer Jeff Wilpon and Executive Vice President and General Manager Brodie Van Wagenen said they met with Beltran Wednesday night and agreed to "mutually part ways."

"It became clear to all parties that it was not in anyone's best interest for Carlos to move forward as manager," they said.

Beltran, hired by the Mets in November, said in a statement he couldn't let himself be a distraction for the team.

"I'm grateful to them for giving me the opportunity, but we agreed this decision is in the best interest of the team," he said.

Van Wagenen said the Mets are currently looking at both internal and external candidates for the team's next manager. No timetable was given as to when the position should be filled.

MLB revealed on Monday that the Astros used cameras to decode the signals used between pitchers and catchers and used that footage to win the 2017 championship. Astros coaches and players then developed their own system, involving smartwatches and banging on a trash can, to alert batters to upcoming pitches.

Beltran worked with bench coach Alex Cora on ways to improve the sign stealing, according to the report.

A November 2019 article in The Athletic about the Astros' sign-stealing sparked MLB's investigation, which looked at the team's operations between 2016 and this week.

Wilpon and Van Wagenen said they were unaware of the sign-stealing accusations and Beltran's involvement until that article was published, and they deferred to MLB to look into the allegations.

"We wanted to steer clear and wanted the commissioner to do their investigation without any interference with us," Wilpon said in a conference call Thursday.

MLB fined the Astros $5 million, the maximum allowed under current league rules, and forced the team to forfeit first- and second-round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts. After the report was released, the Astros fired general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch.

The Boston Red Sox fired Cora as their manager on Tuesday. He's been accused of using similar sign-stealing tactics as manager of the Red Sox during the team's 2018 championship run.

MLB implicated no other players from the 2017 Astros team and issued no other punishments in its report.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Allen Kee / ESPN Images(NEW ORLEANS) -- The New Orleans Police Department issued an arrest warrant for Odell Beckham Jr. on Thursday, alleging the Cleveland Browns wide receiver committed "a simple battery" at the College Football Playoff National Championship.

Beckham, 27, allegedly slapped a stadium security officer on the buttocks, and the officer filed a complaint, a police spokeswoman confirmed to ABC News.

The allegation is a misdemeanor.

Beckham's alma mater, Louisiana State, beat Clemson 42-25 at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans on Monday night.

Before the alleged inappropriate touching, Beckham was seen celebrating with LSU students in the locker room and allegedly handed out money to the players, which could put some of them in hot water with the NCAA.

The alleged buttocks-slapping incident was recorded by Louisiana State player Adrian Magee.

Police could not confirm whether the video is a part of the investigation, but told ABC News to refer to the viral clip.

The 25-second clip, which was posted on Magee's Instagram stories and republished by Complex Sports on Twitter, shows the officer talking to another player in the locker room as Beckham stands in the background.

Odell really spanked the cop 🤣 pic.twitter.com/KVNijqK3bM

— Complex Sports (@ComplexSports) January 15, 2020

As the team celebrates, Beckham appears to slap the male security officer on the backside, causing him to turn around. Beckham seemed to joke with the officer in a playful matter before the footage stopped.

"We are aware of the incident and have been in touch with Odell and his representatives on the matter," the Cleveland Browns said in a statement.

Beckham will have to turn himself in to the police department, and prosecutors will determine what the exact charges will be against him, a spokeswoman said.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Caroline Brehman/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- Amid the historic impeachment proceedings against President Donald Trump on Wednesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and other congressional leaders paused the partisan battle to honor former New Orleans Saints player and disability rights advocate Steve Gleason.

Gleason, 41, received the Congressional Gold Medal, the highest honor Congress gives to a civilian.

"I suppose I don't see my story as a football story or even an ALS story, but rather a human story," Gleason said during the ceremony. "The truth is that we all experience pain in our lives, but I believe that the problems we face are our opportunity to find our human purpose."

After his football career, Gleason contracted amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) -- also called Lou Gehrig's disease, a neurodegenerative disease that affects muscle movement and in late stages can cause paralysis and even death.

He became an advocate for patients with ALS and in 2015 he worked to pass "The Steve Gleason Act" and later the "Steve Gleason Enduring Voices Act of 2017," laws that give Medicare patients access to "eye tracking accessories for speech generating devices" to patients of ALS and other conditions.

Gleason founded the Gleason Initiative Foundation, also known as "Team Gleason," with the mission of showing that patients can live and thrive after an ALS diagnosis.

The foundation helps provide leading technology, awareness and care for ALS patients. Gleason worked with Microsoft in 2015 to develop technology that allows people who are paralyzed to control their wheelchairs with their eyes.

In December, when he learned that he was to receive the Congressional Gold Medal, he said he and his family have come a long way since his initial diagnoses in 2011.

"In many ways, I feel I've conquered ALS." Gleason said. "Not only that, our foundations help others to be fellow conquerors - until we find treatments and a cure."

Gleason was joined at the ceremony on Wednesday afternoon by his wife, Michel, and son, Rivers.

"I am honored and accept the Congressional Gold Medal for all the families who have been diagnosed with ALS, as well as anyone struggling to overcome life's inevitable adversities," Gleason said.

In addition to Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy were among the politicians from both sides of the aisle who attended Wednesday's ceremony.

"Truly Steve's faith and goodness have given many people hope," Pelosi said in her remarks. "Hope and a better future for those with ALS and for those all struggling in the face of adversity."

McConnell, who sat directly next to Pelosi during the ceremony, drew attention in his remarks to how many people looked up to Gleason as an inspiration.

"They've got their saint alright," McConnell said, adding "number 37 to be precise."

And on the day of current Saints quarterback Drew Brees and his son Baylen's birthday, Brees said there was no place they'd rather be than attending Gleason's ceremony.

"There is no person on earth with the strength, courage, passion and tenacity to overcome all obstacles and make the lasting impact that Steve has made," Brees said. "A true American hero."

From 2000 to 2008, Gleason was a safety for the New Orleans Saints and is best known for blocking a punt that led to the Saints' first victory in the teams' Mercedes-Benz Superdome stadium following Hurricane Katrina.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

iStock(NEW YORK) -- Here are the scores from Wednesday's sports events:

NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION

Philadelphia 117, Brooklyn 106
Detroit 116, Boston 103
Miami 106, San Antonio 100
Indiana 104, Minnesota 99
Toronto 130, Oklahoma City 121
Chicago 115, Washington 106
Denver 100, Charlotte 86
Portland 117, Houston 107
Dallas 127, Sacramento 123
Orlando 119, L.A. Lakers 118

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE

Chicago 4, Montreal 1
Philadelphia 4, St. Louis 3 -- OT

TOP-25 COLLEGE BASKETBALL

Baylor 68, Iowa St. 55
Alabama 83, Auburn 64
Seton Hall 78, Butler 70
Florida St. 54, Virginia 50
South Carolina 81, Kentucky 78
Temple 65, Wichita St. 53
Georgetown 83, Creighton 80

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

WPBF-TV(VERO BEACH, Fla.) -- A member of the women's rowing team at the College of the Holy Cross was killed in a car crash in Florida on Wednesday, officials said.

The student was identified as sophomore Grace Rett, said Marybeth Kearns-Barrett, director of the Office of College Chaplains at Holy Cross.

Rett was in the front passenger seat of a team van when it collided with a pickup truck in Vero Beach, police said.

The van was carrying 11 student athletes and the head coach at the time of the crash, which was approximately 7:30 a.m., said Michele Murray, the college's Dean of Students.

The remaining survivors were all injured, officials said.

Six students and the coach remain hospitalized with "varying levels of injury," Murray told reporters Wednesday afternoon.

"This is a terrible shock," Murray said, overcome with emotion.

The College of the Holy Cross is in Worcester, Massachusetts, but the team was in Florida for winter training ahead of the competitive season, Murray said.

Rett, from Uxbridge, Massachusetts, "was incredibly passionate and hardworking," Murray said. "She just set the world record for continuous erging: 62 hours and 3 seconds."

Rett spoke to Boston ABC affiliate WCVB just last week after setting the world record.

"Physically I knew I could do it," Rett said. "I knew it was going to be a total mental challenge."

Kearns-Barrett said chaplains and counselors will be available to help grieving students and staff.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Grace’s family, friends and teammates at this time," Kearns-Barrett said in a letter to the community.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Scott Clarke / ESPN Images(BOSTON) -- Top executives for the Boston Red Sox addressed the dismissal of manager Alex Cora after he was identified as the ringleader of a sign-stealing scandal as bench coach for the Houston Astros.

Red Sox Chairman Tom Werner said during a press conference Wednesday that the team met with Cora on Tuesday and mutually decided to part ways "in the best interest" of the organization.

Werner described Cora as "professional" and "understanding that he made a mistake," adding that the organization continues to "be very fond" of him.

The decision was "tough" for team staff, Chief Baseball Officer Chaim Bloom said.

Cora is awaiting a decision by Major League Baseball that may be tied to a separate investigation into accusations the Red Sox also stole signs in 2018.

The organization had no advance knowledge of the findings of MLB's report, Werner said.

Principal Owner John Henry said that the team takes any allegations "very, very seriously," adding that it will investigate them fully and is working with MLB "to the fullest extent possible."

"We would ask that everyone reserve judgement until MLB completes its investigation," Henry said, declining to comment on MLB's ruling for the Astros.

Cora said in a statement Tuesday that he and the Red Sox, which he led to the 2018 World Series title, agreed "that parting ways was the best thing for the organization."

"I do not want to be a distraction to the Red Sox as they move forward," he said. "My two years as manager were the best years of my life. It was an honor to manage these teams and help bring a World Series Championship back to Boston. I will forever be indebted to the organization and the fans who supported me as a player, a manager and in my efforts to help Puerto Rico. This is a special place. There is nothing like it in all of baseball, and I will miss it dearly."

Now the Red Sox are tasked with finding a new manager less than a month before the start of spring training.

Major League Baseball on Monday announced stiff penalties against the Houston Astros for stealing signs during their 2017 World Series win over the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Astros decoded opposing teams' sign sequences between catchers and pitchers using live footage from the center field camera, and communicated that to hitters during at-bats, according to MLB.

Cora arranged for a monitor displaying the center field camera feed to be placed immediately outside the Astros' dugout, which was allowed at the time, MLB said. Players would watch that TV feed, decode the signs and then bang on a trash can with a bat to alert batters what pitch to expect.

The feed was supposed to be used for "player development purposes" but was instead used to steal signs, MLB said.

The Astros fired general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch about an hour after they were suspended by MLB for the 2020 season. The investigation began following a November 2019 article by The Athletic that accused the team of engaging in sign-stealing and covered a period starting in 2016 until this week.

Houston was fined $5 million, the maximum allowed under current MLB rules, and forced to forfeit first- and second-round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

The MLB report also implicated current New York Mets manager Carlos Beltran, who MLB said approached Cora with a way to improve sign-stealing. It's unclear whether Beltran will face consequences for his involvement in the scandal.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

0
comments